If it isn't broken, don't fix it...right?

Someone recently e-mailed to ask me some questions, and in passing, asked whether I could send her pictures of our kitchen. My reaction was "ARGHHH, are you kidding me!?" But, after the past week, I started wondering why I was so resistant to show anyone our kitchen. I felt like kind of a snob. Our kitchen actually isn't half bad. We're really quite lucky that the house with all of it's flaws when we bought it, presented us with a kitchen that was workable.

Our kitchen wouldn't be inspiring to you, nor would it be a contender for the worst kitchen ever contest. Our kitchen although dated, is no where near awful .... which is why we haven't done anything to it.

The counter, uninspired, is clean and in good condition. The cabinets, although straight out of 1985 properly hold our plates, mugs, and bowls. The backsplash, not my style, and maybe cracking here and there, is still holding up. So, although not to our taste, we try to go by the ... "Why fix what isn't broken" rule.

So, here are the pictures of our traditional galley kitchen....

---------------------------

kitchen new

ABOVE, SIDE #1
I adore my awesome Bosch Tassimo machine courtesy of my Mom + Dad and ontop of the microwave is a must have for when guests come over, a Nespresso Aeroccino Milk frother. :) Our oven is pretty small, and won't hold a traditional cookie sheet, which is my only annoyance.


kitchen new 2

ABOVE: SIDE # 2
We haven't spent any money on reworking this kitchen, but we have done some changes. One thing we immediately did when we moved in was we moved the fridge from the farthest left area of the kitchen and moved it to our eat in area to create more space. (When the door would open, you would block the entry way to the front hall) You can tell where the fridge "used" to go by how the cabinets are much higher in the left hand area. The house a rolly-polly-plug in dishwasher which didn't work well for us, so we sold it on Craisglist and got a built in dishwasher free from a family friend who was renovating and put it in this area + installed a cutting board on top.


---------------------------

Honestly, our kitchen is, apart from dated, awesome. I love the galley kitchen and it looks onto our awesome eat in area that overlooks the garden. It gets so much light. It's a simple layout, but works so well. Having lived in a basement apartment prior to this with Aubrey, the light that we got in this kitchen was mesmerizing...We had sunlight!

So here is the honesty part of the situation. Do I wish we could tear it out and redo it? Yes. That's just me - I love the idea of a new room. However, here is the reality of the situation; It's not a priority since the kitchen, although not to my taste, is totally fine. And the biggest part - budget is an issue. (Let's face it, if I had all the money in the world, I think the kitchen would be long gone)

I couldn't articulate very well why the kitchen irritated me so, even in it's functioning state. It was when Margot Austin, someone whom I admire immensely for her design style, was recently asked a series of questions for StyleatHome.com that my issue was articulated perfectly. She was asked;

"What do you think is the best renovation you can do to your home?"

and she answered;

"The kitchen. When it’s right, you can live with anything else that’s not quite right in your home. When it’s wrong, nothing in your home – or life – is quite on target."

Her answer was articulate, and resonates with me. (And for the record, she has one of the most beautiful kitchens ever. )

Although the rest of our house is beautiful, not having our kitchen like the rest of the house bothers me. (And only me). And so, I remind myself of our rule "Why fix what isn't broken" ...but as you probably can guess, I'm patiently waiting for the cabinets to fall down, the oven to go poof, and the counter top to mysteriously crack in half so we can do that *fix*

So, Is there a kitchen renovation in the works? No.
Will we ever do our kitchen? It's a maybe.
Have I threatened to take down the cabinets while Aubrey is at work? Once.

:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment