Drapery in the Nursery

I really wanted some drapery for the nursery and had planned on getting a seamstress to make some beautiful pinch pleats with some colourful detail much like these inspirational photos.

drapes1
(1) Source (2) Source (3) Source

However I started to reconsider making a huge investment in drapery. Costs were slowly adding up between the nursery, strollers, furniture and more, and spending a small fortune on drapes seemed silly - especially if we could get creative and find a happy medium. It took me a good 9 months to come to that conclusion.

So, this is where we're at right now with the drapes.

drapes

What I'm doing is using pre-made Ikea drapes and I'll be adding ribbon detail to the sides to add some interest much like the inspirational photos. I'm thinking of an a really punchy green or blue for the ribbon. I have tons of ribbon here in my studio, but none that is wide enough to make an impact. Over at Little Green Notebook she did an awesome post on ribbon that you can see here.
So, to complete my vision we're doing the following. (1) Finding a ribbon to detail the drapes with (2) Have to hem the drapes slightly (3) Aubrey is building a valance to hide the black rod that I'm not a fan of. And, if time permits, I may add blackout lining to the back of the drapes, as I've heard that it's helpful for little ones to have dark rooms? (Insight anyone?)

The valance is being built this week to hide the bar. :) Little baby steps getting this room complete!

0 comments:

Post a Comment